Chat with Mohammed Hanif

Author, A Case of Exploding Mangoes


What prompted you to write a such a dark and satirical novel about Zia-Ul-Haq? What was the basis for choosing the subject that you did?

I grew up during the time Gen. Zia-Ul-Haq was in power. As you know, he was a military dictator. You, probably, have not had the experience of living under one man's rule. So, it was a very bizarre time in our lives. I've always liked funny books, dark books and thrillers so even I wanted do try and do something like that.

The reason I ask is because the timeframe you chose for your book - the 80's - is interesting. A lot was happening in other parts of the world as well. The Soviet Union was about to collapse, there was a conflict raging in Afghanistan and Pakistan's relations with India weren't as good. Didn't these - or other subjects - interest you?

Well, basically, I wanted to write a murder mystery. And this has been a mystery in Pakistan as to who killed this guy? I mean, he was the all-powerful man in Pakistan for 11 years and people thought he is never going to go away. Suddenly, one fine day, his plane blows up and he dies. And nobody ever found out what might have happened. It was established that it was sabotage - that somebody had bumped him off - but nobody knew who. So, it's a readymade murder mystery. And I just thought I'll resolve it in a fictional way.

Evidently, your book reflects a lot of dark humour. What sort of books did you read and did those reading influence you while writing this novel?

Actually, I think more than books it's the talk on the streets which influenced me. During Gen. Zia's time, we had total censorship in Pakistan; whether it TV, newspapers or magazines, everything was censored. One could read books as long they weren't anti-government or anti-Zia. So, during that time, a sort of oral culture evolved. People would start rumours or jokes - and this was much before emails or SMSes had come about. So, it was quite strange that somebody sitting in Karachi would start a joke and, the next day, you'll hear it in Peshawar. Hence, this was a way for people to channelise their frustrations. I suppose it was also a kind of resistance. I guess that might have influenced the way I write.

A prominent Indian author, Chetan Bhagat, once said that, when you write your first novel, you put a lot of yourself into it. How much of yourself have you put into A Case of Exploding Mangoes? And does that reflect in any of the characters?

Sadly, no. I had a very boring and dull life. I never got into the kind of troubles that some of my characters get into. But, I have seen and observed people like that; I've read about them and met them. So, no, it's not autobiographical. But, obviously, a lot of the characters have been inspired by the kind of people I have met.

Any examples of such characters?

A lot of political prisoners in Pakistan. There were also some people who were trying to overthrow Zia and were killed. So, one keeps hearing about such people and reading about them in newspapers.

Which character from the book do you like the most?

Without doubt, Zia-Ul-Haq.

And apart from him? What about the protagonist?

I think I like the protagonist's father, Col. Shigri, who's this old-fashioned father figure sort of guy. He's only there for a chapter-and-a-half but I quite like him.

As we know, first time authors find it difficult to get their work published. Did you also face any such problems?

No. In fact, I was quite lucky. I sent it out to a couple of agents. One of them liked it, signed me up and then she did the rest. It actually happened pretty quickly. It probably doesn't happen very often but I guess I just got lucky.

You know, after the success of this book, the joke doing the rounds was that since Mohammad Hanif is shifting back to Pakistan, he might do a sequel with Pervez Musharraf. Any such plans?

(laughs). No. I think Pervez Musharraf is far too dull. And I don't think any sort of fictional treatment would be possible.

But a lot had happened during his regime.

I guess one could start a mini-industry if one starts writing about all the assassinations that have happened in India and Pakistan! But, I think I've done one and that's enough. I'll probably try and write a different kind of book next time.

So what are you writing next?

Well, I'd say I'm trying to write. It's a love story but it's just begun so I don't know what's going to happen.

Will it remain just a love story or will it have shades of crime and humour as well?

I don't know myself! I hope it will be funny or sad or have some emotion in it. But, its still early days so I really can't say what happens next.

The buzz is that 2009 will be the year of Pakistani writing. From Pakistan - and from India - which author(s)' works are you looking forward to? And who's works have enjoyed reading in the past?

I read a lot of Urdu writers. I have just finished a novel by Mirza Athar Baig which was just fantastic. I haven't read much Hindi literature but there's this Malayalam guy who's works have been translated into English. I also enjoyed Vikram Chandra's short stories, Love and Longing in Bombay. From Pakistan, I waiting for Daniyal Mueenuddin's book to come out (In Other Rooms, Other Wonders). I have read a few stories which I think are absolutely fantastic. Kamila Shamsie's book new book is coming out. I have read the manuscript and I think it's quite emphatic.

0 comments: (+add yours?)

Post a Comment