Sneak Peek: Quarantine by Rahul Mehta

The good folks at Random House India recently sent me a sample copy of their forthcoming book, Quarantine, by Rahul Mehta. It's a collection of short stories about gay relationships and the manner in which Indian families deal with them.  What struck me the most about Rahul's stories is the simplicity of his prose; crisp sentences, simple words and well-constructed paragraphs which make his stories beautiful and tender. Just to give you a brief insight, in Quarantine we see Bapuji, a typical grandfather who cribs about his daughter-in-law Asha's cooking and is unable to come to terms with his grandson being gay while in  Ten Thousand Years, we read about a couple whose relationship is on the rocks because one of the partners, Thomas, has been unfaithful.  There's a third story, Citizen, which I'm yet to read but I'm sure it'll be as enjoyable as the previous two.


I don't want to say too much right now because I've just read two stories but it's suffice to say that I really enjoyed whatever I read and am looking forward to reading the full book once it's out at the end of April. 


Will post a review/author interview if, as and when it happens.

2 comments: (+add yours?)

Anonymous said...

quarantine also goes beyond the realm of sexual desire. there are no hyper sex maniacs, doing each other all the time. for a change, a book looks at the intricacies of gay relationships but while reading rahul mehta made me think so much a pall of gloom dawned upon me. mehta's a sad world
i particularly like the story, 'ten thousand years'. beautifully written. touched me. the first story is also a nice read. the better person i had read in caravan, which provoked me to buy the book.
but i also feel that the it would misleading to say that book is primarily about gay relationships. it is also about those men who live far away from their families, how they 'treat' their own flesh and blood. the family aspect and the intersection of cultures struck me most. especially the the first story. there is a lot of drama or the element of surprise in it. in contrast the other story ten thousand years - made me think that mehta is not so much obsessed about making his characters come out to their families. of course, the granny is too old and sickly. the need to make her aware does not arise. so mehta's book at time is also beyond the infancy of being gay.

Aayush said...

@Anonymous: The post mentions that *Quarantine* is about gay relationships *and* the manner in which Indian families deal with them.

Yes, I agree with you that some of the stories have an element of drama but the good part is that they're dramatic without being very voluble or verbose :)

Post a Comment